The SAT is an entrance exam used by colleges and universities across the globe for admission to undergraduate programs. It is created and administered by the College Board. Conducted 4 times a year, the SAT is a pen-paper based test that includes 4 sections covering Math, Evidence-based Reading, and Writing. In addition to SAT scores, colleges also ask for GPAs, extracurricular activities, essays, SOP & LOR while offering admissions to students.
Till 2018, SAT scores were accepted only by international universities. In 2018, College Board, along with leading Indian universities, founded the Indian Global Higher Education Alliance 2018, and thereafter, nearly 50 institutes and 35 universities started accepting SAT scores as part of their admission process.
Below are some of the top Indian universities & institutes accepting SAT scores for undergraduate admissions:
- Azim Premji University
- Ahmedabad University – All courses except BTech courses
- Ashoka University
- Bennett University – BTech, BBA
- Indian School of Business & Finance
- Manav Rachna University
- SP Jain School of Global management
- Sophia college for women–All courses except Law and Architecture
- OP Jindal Global University – All courses except law
- Manipal Academy of Higher University- BSc (Exercise and Sports Sciences), BSc (Health Information Management), BSc (Medical Imaging Technology), BSc (Perfusion Technology), BSc (Renal Replacement Therapy & Dialysis Technology), BCom (Professional)BCom (Business Process Services)
- Shiv Nadar University- BTech, BA (History, English, Sociology, International Relations, Economics) BSc (Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biotech), BMS
- Symbiosis University – Liberal arts
- Vellore Institute of Technology – All courses except Engineering, Law & Architecture
- SRM Institute of Science & Technology
- World University of Design
- Anant National University
- KREA university
- PLAKSHA University
- VNIT Nagpur
- IIIT Delhi
- IIIT Allahabad
Advantages of SAT while applying to colleges in India
Acceptance of SAT score in India has greatly simplified the undergraduate admission process. With just one test, students can apply to multiple universities in India as well as abroad and can even take advantage of different scholarships. Students are not restricted to one stream; they can apply for admission in multiple streams like BTech, Architecture, Liberal Arts, Management courses and others.
Here are some of the main advantages of taking the SAT:
- Unlike other Indian entrance exams, the SAT can be taken more than once if the student’s score is not upto the expectations.
- There is no negative marking for incorrect answers.
- This test offers more time per section as compared to other Indian entrance exams.
- Students can send scores to all the institutes or universities that are a member of Indian global alliance.
SAT Exam Details
SAT test centres in India are spread all over the country. There are 80 test centres spread over 50 cities.
SAT score of 1200+ / 1600 is considered a good score. But to avail scholarship in top universities, a student needs minimum of 1300 score.
College Board India Scholars Programme
College Board, in collaboration with Indian universities, provides an opportunity to high-achieving students who are from low-income families to earn full-tuition scholarships.
Given below are some of the key advantages of the College Board Indian Scholars Program:
|Scholarship||SAT Registration Discount||Income slab||SAT Score|
|Up-to 100% college tuition fee scholarship||90% of SAT test fee||Less than 8 lacs||At least 1300/1600|
|One time endowment Scholarship (up-to $1500)||50% of SAT test fee||Between 8 lacs – 15 lacs||At least 1300/1600|
How Indian Universities use SAT:
Always check for eligibility requirements of the university on its official website before you act.
How to prepare for SAT in India:
We at Hayden & Reynott provide a springboard to all the ambitious students who wish to pursue their higher education outside India. Hayden & Reynott offers test prep services, which include updated, high-quality & comprehensive study material and personalized class plan. Class plans are customised according to a student’s diagnostic score. We also offer multiple SAT programs – live online sessions or face to face classes (one on one basis or in a batch, as preferred) in 13 locations. All the value-added services like more than 1000 practice questions with tips & strategies, mock tests kit, doubt-clearing sessions, regular parent trainer meet, performance tracker are provided to help students achieve their target scores.